Frequently Asked Questions
1. I am a member of SWCA. I need a password. How do I log in for the first time?
- In the top right of any page, you will find a LOGIN button.
Click on the FORGOT PASSWORD link to the right of the LOGIN button.
On the RESET PASSWORD page (a new window) enter your email address in the YOUR EMAIL box.
Enter the six character code, from the picture immediately below, into the CODE box.
Click the SUBMIT button. A password will be emailed to you.
Check your email account for an email from the Society of Western Canadian Artists.
Click on the CHANGE PASSWORD link in that email.
On the RESET YOUR PASSWORD window that appears, enter your preferred password, twice. You may choose any phrase or word.
Click the SET NEW PASSWORD button to save your password.
TO LOGIN AT ANY TIME
- Go to the HOME page of swcartists.ca --- the login area is on the top right corner of the page.
Enter your email address in the EMAIL box.
Enter your password in the PASSWORD box immediately beneath.
Click the LOGIN button.
Don't forget to LOGOUT when you are ready to leave swcartists.ca
2. I am interested in joining SWCA. How do I join?
If you would like to try SWCA without committing to a membership . . .
- Please join us for one of our monthly meetings as a guest. You will find upcoming meeting dates on our home page and the program advertisement in our current newsletter, a link for which is also available on our home page.
If this is the first time you are applying to become a member . . .
- Go to Become a Member in the left menu and follow the links to join at the entry General Membership Level.
3. I am an accomplished artist. Do I need to start at a General Membership Level? Can't I apply for a higher status level right away?
Artists with significant recognition may request a higher status level without going through the previous level(s), but this is an exceptional circumstance and must meet certain criteria.
4. I am currently a member of SWCA. How do I renew my membership?
Begin by logging into your member profile at the top of the web page.
- In your profile, go to Membership Details and click on the "Renew..." button.
- Follow the steps indicated. Your appropriate status level will already be indicated.
- Payment can be made with a major credit card or PayPal.
5. Do I have to apply or renew online?
Ideally, if you have online access, you should apply or renew online.
- Doing so reduces the volume of work for the Membership volunteers.
- If you do not have a credit card or would prefer to pay by cash or cheque, see Q6.
- For members without online access, the application or renewal can be done by visiting the Membership table at the monthly meeting. You will need to complete an application form available at the table.
6. May I pay by cheque?
Yes, you may pay by cash or cheque at a monthly meeting.
- If you prefer to pay by cheque, cash, or do not have a credit card, as long as you have computer access you can still complete the application or renewal online. Payment can be made by cash or cheque at the membership table at the monthly meeting. Be sure to create an invoice online and PRINT THE INVOICE AND TAKE IT WITH YOU to the meeting along with your payment. Please bring exact change.
- If you unable to come to a meeting and need to mail a cheque, please see the Contact page for our mailing address.
7. I let my membership lapse for a year or more and wish to rejoin. How do I renew?
Your renewal process will depend on when your last year of membership occurred.
- If you were a member in 2011/12 or later, your membership information would be included in the website database. Follow the same steps in Q1 above. Make sure you are using the same email address you had when you were a member. Then follow the steps in Q4 above to renew. If you cannot remember the email address you were using, please contact the Membership Chair for access.
- If your membership lapsed prior to September 2011, your information would not be in the website database and you will need to create a new member profile. There are two options:
- If you were at a General Membership Level, then simply apply again for a General Membership Level on the Become a Member page of this website.
- If you were an Exhibiting, Associate or Signature Status Level member you would need to renew in person at the Membership Desk during one of our monthly meetings in order to maintain the same status level you were before. Membership would need to check Society records to confirm your status level.
8. What if I do not renew my membership right away?
If payment is not made by the renewal date, you will not be eligible to complete for People's Choice, exhibit in SWCA shows, apply for member status promotion, or be included in the Gallery page of this website. This remains in effect until the membership renewal is paid. If payment is not made within 2 months (61 days), your membership will have lapsed and you will no longer be able to access any member privileges or attend meetings until the membership renewal fee is paid.
- You will be able to access your member profile after your membership has lapsed. This allows you to renew your membership online at any time.
9. We used to have membership cards/receipts which we could take to specific art supply stores and get a discount. Do we still get membership cards for this purpose?
Membership cards are available to any member and can be requested at the Membership table during the monthly meetings.
- To reduce the efforts of our volunteers, membership cards will not be issued automatically. We are happy to provide them upon request. Be sure to take along a PRINTED COPY of your online receipt, when making your request.
- The membership card will automatically be issued (as a receipt) to members without online access.
- The card may not be issued immediately depending who is at the Membership table that evening, and may need to be picked up at a later date.
10. I don't receive notifications of the Artscape newsletter, or upcoming workshops or exhibitions. How do I sign up to receive these notifications?
Members may change their profile to include a "Member Subscription" to SWCA messages.
The SWCA website provider is working on solutions to make the processes of subscribing and unsubscribing easier to use. The answer to this question may change in future.
11. I don't want to receive certain kinds of emails from SWCA. How do I unsubscribe?
Members may change their profile to unsubscribe from email blasts sent by SWCA by clicking on the UNSUBSCRIBE link in an email that they have received from SWCA. Members may also modify their email preferences within their member profile:
The SWCA website provider does not currently include a function to allow members to change their profile to unsubscribe from workflow emails sent automatically by the site. These workflow emails include membership renewal notices, event registration confirmations, and payment confirmations, for example.
The SWCA website provider is working on solutions to make the processes of subscribing and unsubscribing easier to use. The answers to this question may change in future.